Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rhythmic Writing

Ever heard of rhythmic writing? I had not until I met Dr. C.

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, Jared's left hemisphere isn't working the way we'd like. Dr. C. has, however, established that he is right handed. Generally, the dominant brain hemisphere is the opposite of a child's right hand. Jared's is not. Rhythmic writing helps develop hemispheric dominance, or in Jared's case, it will help his left brain and teach accurate motor control.

I still can't believe I'm writing this. Normally, this would be the place where I would start dozing off. Yes, I'm admitting it. People start saying ├╝ber intelligent things or use words like "visual-motor cluster", and I'm already drafting my grocery list in my head. Unfortunately, I have to grow up and get MY brain to focus on the task at hand... helping my son's brain to function more effectively. Did I really just write that? Again, I took botany and zoology as my two sciences in college, because I thought that plants and animals would be the easiest. My math classes consisted of college algebra and accounting 101. I took minimum science and math classes because I really don't like studying the human body or codes or statistics, etc. But, here I am. God had other plans. I'm now reading the "Visual-Motor Cluster Worksheet" on rhythmic writing so I can start working with him in the morning on it.

So, here we go. Hopefully this rhythmic writing will help stimulate his brain function by requiring both sides of the brain to function at the same time.

Jesus went all over Galilee, teaching in the synagogues, preaching the Good News about the Kingdom, and healing people who had all kinds of disease and sickness. Matthew 4:23 (GNT)

2 comments:

  1. My name is Donna and I stumbled onto your blog while looking up rhythmic writing for my 7 year old. He is in the first grade and is showing signs of learning problems. My husband and I have been concerned about it for some time and now we are seeing the signs. He is very introverted and very distractable. He is very intelligent but has problem with working memory. He is starting a program which includes rhythmic writing is proving to be very challenging for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued... My youngest has autism and for a while, we were concerned that my oldest might have Aspergers. He does not. We do not have a diagnosis now but it seems like he might have ADD or APD. All I know is that my heart aches for him and we are doing whatever we can to help him. We pray a lot and have faith that God will direct our path on the journey. I am enjoying reading your posts. Thank you for sharing. My blog is DonnaBroome.blogspot.com. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete